Review of Doug Gay’s ‘Honey from the Lion: Christianity and the Ethics of Nationalism’

[One of the projects for my current semester of research leave is to write a report for the International Journal of Practical Theology on the state of practical theology in Scotland, my discipline’s contribution to public life and to the debate over independence in particular. In preparation for this article I’ve been reading Doug Gay’s new book. Given that reviews can take many months (even years) before they appear in print in academic journals I’m posting here some initial observations on Doug’s important text. Comments – hopefully from Doug too – are welcome but will be moderated before being made public.]

Below is just the opening of my review, the full 1600 words are available as a pdf: ES review of Gay Honey From the Lion.

The majority of voters in Orkney and Shetland opt to retain the Union in the September 2014 referendum on Scottish independence. The political implications – they will be bound by the national outcome – will be much more straightforward than the ethical implications. Why should one perceived ‘democratic deficit’ (Scotland in the rest of the UK) be addressed at the expense of introducing another democratic deficit (Orkney and Shetland in the rest of Scotland)?….